Can you believe that it is draft night alright? I feel like it has snuck around very, very quickly! With my obsession over Mass Effect, the Olympics and day to day life, I haven’t even had a chance to properly scout the upcoming talent. Word on the street is there is a lot of it!
Unfortunately, it meant I didn’t get to do a mock draft this year. I love doing mock drafts. Nonetheless, here are the 30 first round picks that were made tonight!
(I’m also still really angry the Bulls don’t have a pick)
1. Detroit Pistons – Cade Cunningham (PG)
2. Houston Rockets – Jalen Green (SG)
3. Cleveland Cavaliers – Evan Mobley (C)
4. Toronto Raptors – Scottie Barnes (F)
5. Orlando Magic – Jalen Suggs (G)
6. Oklahoma City Thunder – Josh Giddey (G)
7. Golden State Warriors – Jonathon Kuminga (F)
8. Orlando Magic – Franz Wagner (SF)
9. Sacramento Kings – Davion Mitchell (PG)
10. Memphis Grizzlies – Ziaire Williams (SF)
11. Charlotte Hornets – James Bouknight (SG)
12. San Antonio Spurs – Joshua Primo (SG)
13. Indiana Pacers – Chris Duarte (SG)
14. Golden State Warriors – Moses Moody (SG)
The NBA took a pause here to remember Terrence Clarke, who tragically passed away in a car accident earlier this year. He was only 19 years old. Terrence was likely going to be drafted tonight, achieving his lifelong dream of playing in the NBA.
Adam Silver then announced Terrence Clark as the next pick in the draft, honouring his life and completing his goal of making it to the NBA. His mother accepted his hat on his behalf, as the crowd chanted Terrence.
It was a tragic moment in April when Terrence passed away and my thoughts are with his family and friends. He’s out there somewhere, hooping with the best of them.
15. Washington Wizards – Corey Kispert (F)
16. Houston Rockets – Alperen Sengun (C)
17. New Orleans Pelicans – Trey Murphy III (F/G)
18. Oklahoma City Thunder – Tre Mann (PG)
19. Charlotte Hornets – Kai Jones (F)
20. Atlanta Hawks – Jalen Johnson (SF)
21. Los Angeles Clippers – Keon Johnson (SG)
22. Indiana Pacers – Isaiah Jackson (PF)
23. Houston Rockets – Usman Garuba (C)
24. Houston Rockets – Josh Christopher (SG)
25. New York Knicks – Quentin Grimes (SG)
26. Denver Nuggets – Nah’Shon “Bones” Hyland (G)
27. Brooklyn Nets – Cameron Thomas (SG)
28. Philadelphia 76ers – Jaden Springer (G)
29. Brooklyn Nets – Day’Ron Sharpe (C)
30. Utah Jazz – Santi Aldama (F/C)
We also had some blockbuster trades, not only tonight, but over the course of this week. Here is a quick recap.
The Memphis Grizzlies parted ways with Jonas Valunciunas, pick number 17 (Trey Murphy III) and pick number 51 in exchange for Steven Adams, Eric Bledsoe, pick number 10 (Ziaire Williams), pick number 40 and a protected 2022 first round pick (from the Lakers, currently number 22).
Detroit sent Mason Plumlee and the number 37 pick to Charlotte, in exchange for the 57th pick.
Ricky Rubio is on his way to Minnesota, after he was swapped for Cleveland’s Taurean Prince, some cash and a 2022 second rounder.
Landry Shamet is leaving Brooklyn and headed to Phoenix, in exchange for Jevon Carter and tonight’s 29th pick (Day’Ron Sharpe).
OKC traded the 16th pick tonight (Alperen Sengun) to Houston, in exchange for 2 future first rounders. Presti has literally gone mad. He is just hoarding picks now. OKC have 17 first round picks over the next 6 years.
Russell Westbrook is on his way to the Los Angeles Lakers, with the Lakers sending back KCP, Kyle Kiama, Montrezl Harrell and the 22nd pick tonight (Isaiah Jackson). The Lakers also acquire two future second round picks. Washington then sent Isaiah Jackson to Indiana, in exchange for Aaron Holiday.
The Knicks traded the 19th pick (Kai Jones) for a future first rounder, from Charlotte.
The Knicks also traded the 21st pick (Keon Johnson) to the Los Angeles Clippers, in exchange for the 25th pick (Quentin Grimes). New York will also get a 2024 second round pick in this deal.
Indiana parted ways with the 31st pick, sending it to Milwaukee in exchange for the 54th pick, the 60th pick and 2 future second round picks. Is it just me, or is that a weird trade?
Philly swapped the 53rd pick for some cash.
The most interesting trade is the one that didn’t happen! Ben Simmons is still a 76er. Not from a lack of trying though, the 76ers are just asking a ridiculously high price for Simmons. Which is poor timing, considering his value is at an all time low.
Don’t get me wrong, I think Simmons is a fantastic player and if I was a GM, I’d try and get him. The 76ers are insane to be asking as much as they are. Some of the leaked packages have been for as many as 6 players/picks. It’s just absurd.
Kai Jones had my favourite suit of the night. Isn’t crazy how tight suits are now? If you watch a draft from 15 years ago, there was so much fabric. Now it looks like it will rip if they sit down.
And that is a wrap. I would like to wish luck to all the players who have found a new team and to welcome all the new faces to the NBA. I can’t wait to see you all play. RIP to Terrence Clark.
Fatherhood calls, so I’ll come back tomorrow (maybe later tonight) with any more trades and the complete second round list.